Vampire Library Chapter 6

on 8 April 2016 at 03:53

We are in GREAT NEED of an SFX typesetter. You know if you keep leaving it to me, this thing will never be released fast enough. Apply here.

Enjoy the chapter~

on 15 June 2016 at 06:26
@berubetto: I appreciate your passionate opinion. Hahaha Thank you for writing us such a long comment. I don't read (published) English translated manga so I am not sure how they deal with it. But if it is within my ability to draw the SFXs back in with the same style, then I don't mind doing it. I just prefer having people signed up for each project separately. However I won't drop my standards to using typed SFXs, if I can simply draw it back in in the same style. Thank you for caring so much about us. :D
posted by berubetto
on 12 June 2016 at 10:36
I belatedly see your points, and appreciate them. It's not so much helpful for serious learners as it is fun for casual learners to read the SFX. I think you're wrong about what constitutes perfection, as many professionally translated manga publishers are handling SFX the way I suggest. Even if the SFX is typeset, today, that IS part of the art. For pro-level releases, there are some texts that would still be needed to be redrawn, of course, such as transparent speech bubbles over someone's arm, but there are times that an English SFX just looks awkward, because it's difficult to match the artistic layout of the original for various reasons. I only mention these points because I don't know if you considered them and I hate to see you struggle so much over a level of perfection which is illusionary. I say this as a former professional in usability who actually worked at Adobe before pushing myself too hard and becoming too ill to work or even volunteer on a project. Don't go down my road in general, please! But I have to say, do what you want and I am grateful, but my decades of experience tell me you are hitting perfection, going past it, and actually in some cases (an SFX for "annoying" comes to mind) losing some of that perfection. I only type all this out on my phone, dammit (broken computer; ow ow ow), because I admire not only your choices in titles but your familiar desire to do your best. Take care of yourselves first, okay? And just consider reassessing the nature of perfection. NNTR.
on 6 June 2016 at 09:02
Considered and discarded unfortunately. SFXs don't really help learning the language I think. lol Also most Japanese SFXs are not drawn, they are typed, it depends on the artist. We rather make the release perfect and be happy about it. :> However, to people who are learning Japanese and Korean, consider reading your manga in the original language! Good luck!
posted by berubetto
on 5 June 2016 at 03:54
SFX are really kind of art, though. I like it better when they are left in the original language with the translations on the side or below. Plus, it helps releases get out faster! And it's helpful to people learning the language. Please consider this! Thanks!
posted by Song_quest
on 9 April 2016 at 04:47
Thank you!
posted by gwendelp
on 9 April 2016 at 00:21
hi, thank you for this new chapter !!
i agree, it's hard the sfx :!! i suck at this lol
posted by tokkei12
on 8 April 2016 at 22:55
Really enjoying this series so thanks for the new chapter!
posted by Peony
on 8 April 2016 at 19:35
Thanks for the quick update! Sorry, I can't help as a typesetter.
posted by phyrigia